Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Project Update 2 and 3

The past two weeks, the only data I was able to find online was spreadsheets regarding childhood lead poisoning cases in New York City by neighborhood from the years 2001 and 2005 from the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. This data is rather outdated for our liking since Dr. Karr is focusing on the present day need for continuing lead poisoning research. I found an article published in January 2011 based on "data recently made available from the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene." However, this article also focuses on the child cases, while the number of cases of all age values might be more beneficial. I compiled a list of four additional governmental agencies and organizations in addition to the EPA and CDC that might be of assistance. I have contacted all of these groups in hopes of obtaining any information regarding the number of lead cases in the target counties of New York. Some groups did not have phone numbers, so I have emailed them and are waiting for their responses. Due to break and the waiting time, I have fallen a bit behind of my proposed weekly schedule. I have a meeting scheduled with Dr. Karr this Thursday to go over the obtained data and to discuss the plan of action for the map.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cool topic! Hopefully Dr.Karr can help you out in finding some recent data. I looked up lead poisining statistics and the CDC has a list uptill 2009 I don't know it that helps at all,but I feel for you it is hard finding this data!
    http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/data/StateConfirmedByYear_1997_2009.htm

    ReplyDelete